Grâne: Other Visits
During your visit, respect all private property and the privacy of the owners.
Plaisance: A fortified house Private property – not open for visits. The residence was part of the seigneurial estate. It was an imposing fortification, with four tours at each corner and a door topped by a bartizan with two arrow slits. The hillock to the north of the farm conceals a large cooler where the lord stockpiled blocks of ice..
The ridge path separates the easterly Sensouzes wood, still property of the rural district, from the westerly Lady’s wood (a possible reference to Diane de Poitiers, who owned Grâne from 1548 to 1566). Previously mentioned in a transaction dating from 1309 between Aymar de Poitiers, a count of Valentinois, and “his men and subjects of Grâne” as being the lord’s property. The forest was a possible hideout for Mandrin.
Combemaure: Basin of farmable land that was owned by the Aiguebelle abbey from 1196 up until the Revolution.
Saint Julien’s Chapel:
Private property – not open for visits. Built in a former cemetery, this small chapel transformed into a shed has still conserved its apse. From this vantage point, there is a beautiful panorama of Grâne and the Drôme valley.
The Pierre Sanglante (Bloody Stone):
In this small windy pass, many trails meet up. The Pierre Sanglante is the border line of 3 communes, 3 cantons and, in the past, 3 Roman cities, 3 dioceses and 3 seigneuries (geodesic marker no. 8). This stone, already mentioned in a document dating from 1286, has a honeycombed surface and red tinge that gave birth to many legends: human sacrifices by the Celts, executions of prisoners by the Saracens (Moors) etc…Even the location of the hands and knees of the torture victims can be seen.
The TGV (high speed train) viaduct and tunnel at Roche-sur-Grâne:
The most imposing structures of the line. The viaduct (947 meters long) rests on 18 columns, of which the tallest measures close to 60 meters. The tunnel, an extension of the viaduct, measures 2,430 meters.
Private property – not open for visits. Very old fortified house. On the southern facade there are two loopholes above the cart entrance. In the corner, a cistern collects water from the roof.
Former priory (private property – not open for visits) from which the incumbent received a quarter of the tithes. Beautiful farm with closed courtyard and dovecot. The former chapel, despite the wings added on to its sides, can still be made out from the facade of the shed. The adjacent empty space to the south was a cemetery. The hamlet can be visited, in taking care to respect the private places.
In the 19th century, it was a silk mill (spinning and milling). The stream powered the hydraulic wheel installed behind the circular tower. Closed in 1872. Became an alumnat (seminary) where the young novices underwent a testing period before taking their vows. The machine room was transformed into a chapel and topped by a steeple. At the beginning of the 20th century, the Capuchins de Crest set up the Joan of Arc summer camp here. Is currently the Institut Médico-Éducatif (IME). On the terrace, a Gallo-Roman dolium (large jar for provisions), found in Saint-Bardoux’s hamlet, can be seen. Nearby, two old Protestant cemeteries recall the era of religious persecutions.
Mount Brian (474 m):
Highest point in Grâne’s commune. Important television relay.
The priory Notre-Dame d’Andéat:
Private property – not open for visits. Former priory, a dependency of Chaise-Dieu. The prior received half of the parishes tithes. The agricultural property spread across 180 setiers (more than 40 ha). Was sold in 1790 under the pretext of being “state property” to a rich merchant from Crest who cut a cart door into the apse and divided the nave with a slab composed of two superimposed pieces. The garden to the north was once a cemetery.
The natural reserve of Ramières:
For information, go to the “Maison des Ramières”, next to the bridge that crosses the Drôme. The reserve is 9 kilometres long, extending across 5 communes and covers 346 ha. Home to a large diversity of flora and fauna, much scientific observation takes place here. Pedestrian visits, expositions, conferences and theme walks are among the activities available.
Photos: Joël de Grâne
Translator: Crystal Crow
Index | Accueil |Agenda | L'historique | La visite du village | Les autres visites | La vidéo de la visite | La galerie photos | L'album photos |
Les cartes postales | Les loisirs | Les associations | Grâne Rando | L'ASG| Les hébergements |Les images d'hier | Les commerces | L'artisanat | Situation |
L'école de musique | Les livres de R Serre | Les livres des auteurs Grânois | La page d'histoire | Les boucles VTT1-2-6 | Les boucles VTT3-4-5 | Les boucles pédestres |
Les chemins du Soleil|Les villages perchés | Les villages botaniques | Les spectacles du Théâtre| Les spectacles du Temple | Plan du site |
English and Américan version: Activities. | History of Grâne. | Visit the village. | Other visits.