Grâne: Visit the village
The local quarry and remaining ramparts:
Stones for the steeple and Crest’s tower were extracted from the quarry, which is now partially occupied by the school complex. Evidence of cutting and carving are quite visible in the Théâtre de Verdure.
The castle district:
Narrow and steep alleys, often separated by masonry arches. Dated lintel.
Dates from the 15th century, is 36 meters tall, with walls two meters thick. Was used as a defence tower, having been next to one of the two village gateways. Equipped with loopholes for firearms. Decorated with numerous embossed stones (human figurines, animals, leaf work...) Buttressed on the side facing Rue du Fossé. Topped by a pyramid-shaped stone spire with eight faces. Gargoyle located on the north-east corner of the flat roof. Has four ogival openings. A turret sits on a cul-de-lampe, with a bartizan on the northwest corner (interior staircase).
The ruins of the Poitier’s castle:
The remains of the mounting for an old mullioned window and a spiral staircase. Arched cellars from the 13th century. View of the new castle: the four sides of its towers roofs are covered in coloured tiles.
The Trois Croix du Calvaire situated above the old castle.
The town hall:
Was built over the place originally occupied by the church, of which remains a roman door and the tympanum decorated with a potent cross. Facing Rue du Fossé, an arcature from the former chapel can still be seen. The sacristy, annexed north of the steeple, took up half of what is now the street. In the town hall can be seen a beautiful fire pump, purchased in 1845. Arm powered, it sprayed water up to 30 meters.
Previous entryway of the town hall
La Grand-Rue (Main Street):
Up until 1860, the Grand-Rue extended past the staircase, at the foot of which can be seen the old roadway and under which exists a tunnel-like opening. The new bend was made by levelling and cutting into the cliff below the castle.
The former Grande-Rue:
In passing, check out the new castle’s north entryway, its triangular pediment and vermiculated piers, decorated with two snakes, and the only fountain in the village until the 19th century. A dovecot roofed in “bonnet de Calvin” (with three sheltering walls).
Rue du Fossé:
The remains of the former ramparts and the southern face of the castle, remodelled during the 19th century. The footbridge was built during the same period as the coming to power of the prince of Monaco.
Rue du Bourg:
House adorned with a double gothic window. Alleys are sometimes covered. Cornerstones are in place to protect the buildings from wheels.
Former residence of the royal notary and lord under the Ancien Régime.
Town hall/presbytery from 1827 to 1885
The church without its steeple and the stained-glass window of Sainte Philippine Duschesne
Places of worship